Friday 9 November 2007

AIR MAX 1's

These are the latest addition to my existing collection of 25 pairs of trainers- number 26- The Air Max 1 Premium in Varsity purple and medium grey. The colour way does look a bit bait but trust me, they look fresh on, and the perforated nubuck toe box kills it.

When i bought them, I brought them home and as normal, let them marinate in the box for a few days, I can't bust them out straight away- to a sneaker freak thats like opening the presents under the tree before saying grace on the 25th, its a strange ritual of willpower that I seem to take pleasure in enduring. After a few days I took them out of the box, and placed them alongside the rows of other shoes varying in rarity, colour and style. There's no doubt that I have so many pairs because I love trainers, because I'm materialistic, and because they're all part of forming identity. Its ironic that by trying to stand out from others we buy into brands that seem to represent individuality, yet end up wearing the uniforms of non-conformity. I suppose if i really wanted to be different I should buy shoes made out of Hemp and crafted on a commune in Oregan buy some guy called 'Star' or 'Astro-Belt', but the rain in London doesn't really suit the "I foraged for my footwear" style. My shoes need to be crisp, and sturdy enough to kick a crack head in the teeth if necessary.

6 comments:

pennyarrow said...

Those shoes are SICK!!!

Linda Grant said...

Quite right. You can never have too many shoes

Unknown said...

I personally will never get the whole trainer thing, "Off tha Cuff", but I guess that came as close to explaining it as I'll get. Good read!

Unknown said...

Ha Ha Ha, Damn you. "Astro-Belt" was gonna be my rap name!

Unknown said...

NICE.

I don't know where you get the time to write a blog...what with all the kicking of crack heads' teeth...but somehow you manage it all.

Nice.

A question:
Do you ever do any feng shui on your trainer collection and purge old pairs? Is it an emotional, cathartic ritual...or just a chuck of some sneakers toward the bin and you're done with it.

[I really like the blog.]

OFF THA CUFF said...

Susan,

No, thats the best thing, if you keep them in good condition you never know when you might want to break them out again. Plus certain shoes might have the rarity factor, so its always good to keep them in the collection.