Monday 26 November 2007

I Know What I like, And I Like What I Know


We all love trainers, yet it seems the relationship we have with our kicks is not always enough in the eyes of true sneaker heads. Those that manifest a bond with their footwear seem to fall into two groups. There are those that truly collect, always on a mission to find the next rare edition kicks to tick off their list of personal desire, trawling through piles of deadstock, and who are willing to pay almost any price. Then there are those that recognize the importance of having a fresh pair of shoes in near constant rotation. This second type generally select their styles based on the movements of the industry, always ready to splash the cash on the latest re-issue or new colour way. There is a divide between these two groups, where passion and dedication is often replaced by the fickle nature of trends. Personally, I'm not sure I fall into either of the above categories. I feel I've been around long enough to know which models I like best, and more over, suit my style. I don't care how rare those lo Dunks are, only the hi's make it onto my footwear floor space. There are those that would surely wretch at the idea of my personal collection being made cheifly of Hi top Vandals and Air Max 1's, with a sprinkling of Jordan 1's and the occasional Blazer. The sneaker has become more than a shoe; it's unquestionably a culture. However, it's ascendancy to cult status is as much due to the boundaries of style and design being constantly pushed and prodded, as it is to do with our hunger for rarity and exlusivity. But thats just my opinion. And as Method Man once said, "Opinions are like assholes, everyboddy gotta have one".

No comments: